Sunday, July 28, 2013

Health Coverage Debate

I've seen a lot of things on the health insurance debate. There are things for and against it, what will become basically our national system. One of the things against it is that we'll now have created another bureaucracy. That's understandable; I don't like being told what to do either. Whether I want it or not, I'll have to have it. Somehow I'm rather averse to that concept.

I've also seen the things for it and I understand the economic reasons behind it. Because everyone has to have what's basically a similar plan, costs are supposed to be reduced overall. Of course, some that haven't been carrying medical insurance will now have to pay for it. So, those like myself, will obviously find their costs increased.

Anyways, the pool will become larger so the costs are spread out over more people. Even all businesses are treated equally, therefore no company will be allowed to have a competitive advantage. Walgreen's will have the same expense as Kmart does. Theoretically, it's supposed to be a better system.

The origins of Obamacare, or Romneycare, whichever term you want to use (they're actually the same law) is from many years back. Some were running up to their benefit maximums, or they were being dropped by their insurance companies. I remember reading the articles in the Wall Street Journal, etc regarding this. Another thing that added fuel to the fire is the financial system breakdown. A chunk of the individual bankruptcies were the result of extensive medical bills. That added its little bit to the meltdown that had happened. Basically, some of the businesses that could have weathered the storm otherwise weren't able to.
There are some in Congress that didn't want that happening again. There are only so many write offs you can take. Now only a small amount of businesses ever went under because of health care costs though it it is something that has happened in the past.


For good, or bad, it looks like we'll all soon have health insurance. I'm not really sure if I'm for it, or against it, but I haven't had health insurance for many years. When I did have it, the copays were a killer so I never went to see the doctor. Either way, it means I probably still won't be seeing any doctors since I'm having a hard time paying for groceries, let alone copays

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment.