Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Age bias

I've been reading some things recently and the last few years where age bias in hiring is a concern. This is something that is understandable for me as I am over 45 now and headed towards 50. Personally, I haven't found it to be much of an issue, I have a lot of experience to offer to an employer. Having a large variety of experience is an excellent asset to have in any job hunt. You just have to make sure you are offering what the new employer is looking for. Obviously I wouldn't be offering my carpentry or roofing experience to a call center per se. As the job market improves during this year age will become less and less of an issue.
The other side of the age issue is the very young, the ones wishing to become new employees. This is something that is much more difficult to do something about. A lot of managers look at someone that is very young as someone that will have to be trained. Training costs money which is bad for the bottom line. Since an older worker doesn't require as much training in a managers mind it isn't as much of an issue. I wish I had a bit more hope to impart for young prospective candidates. My advice? Try to show everything that you can as experience. Think about the times you communicated well with others on errands. Let's say you helped paint the house, be prepared to talk about it and offer what an employer is looking for.

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by Cricket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment.