Sunday, July 29, 2012

Historical Fiction

I was just going over some of the manuscript for "From Afar" that I've already been working on. It's amazing to me how many changed since that time. I'm writing this blog post on a piece of technology that had its infancy in those days with the first computers. Cell phones didn't exist and it was difficult to call someone in another country. When you got the news it was sometimes weeks after the event happened. You had radios but they weren't exactly something that was very portable. The TV that you were probably watching this evening also had its infancy around the time of the 1939 World's Fair.

A large portion of book sales then were via mail, there were local book stores though you were limited on what they carried at that moment. Its quite different now, when I want a book all I have to do is open the browser on my Blackberry in a few moments after buying it I'm reading the book. That's incredible, back in 1945 they would have probably looked amazed and made some comment about "Dick Tracy". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment.