Saturday, February 11, 2012

Where to post your resume

"Only as high as I reach can I grow,
only as far as I seek can I go,
only as deep as I look can I see,
only as much as I dream can I be."
Karen Ravn

Recently, there was a survey completed by Saddleback College of employers where a job seeker should post their resume.

College/University career center - 69.3%
Monster - 59.1%
LinkedIn - 58%
Careerbuilder - 55.7%
Craigslist - 31.8%
Indeed - 18.2%
Facebook - 17%
Twitter 9.1%

These are of course an indication also where employers are posting openings these days. One of my favorites is less than one third of all openings (Craigslist). It's one that I do highly recommend but like all things in the job market, things change constantly. Where one site may be popular today it will change again tomorrow. Having posted my resume on Craigslist a few years ago I'm not sure that I can recommend it. The responses I had was not from employers but was ones that I didn't really want. If you do however, make sure that you don't do what I did. Don't include your contact information with the posted resume.
Facebook makes sense because of the BeKnown and BranchOut applications there. Those applications work pretty well from what I could see. I will note however that they don't work very well on mobile devices including my Blackberry. You'll be using those two applications on a PC only. I've never had one of my resumes posted in a college or university center so I can't comment there. Then again, I've never went to a physical college, my additional education was online so that wouldn't have been available to me. Most of my resume responses have been from my CareerBuilder resume and next would be my Monster resume.
Of the others I have had my resume posted on Indeed for over two years now. There has never been a response to it in all of that time. I can say the same about my LinkedIn resume also, never any responses. LinkedIn however is where most management positions are posted and resumes are searched. Now, moving on to Twitter. This one is interesting for me when I'm looking at it. Can I put my entire resume into 140 characters? I'm not quite sure at this point in time that I can do so.

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by Cricket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment.