Sunday, January 22, 2012

Getting there

I am definitely going to take a course on time management... just as soon as I can work it into my schedule.
Louis E. Boone

It's extremely important to get to an interview appointment on time. If you don't show up to the interview on time it shows a disregard for the interviewers schedule. It also shows a lack of time management which a major negative. The interviewer will think that if hired you won't be showing up on time for the job. I'll admit there were a few times I did show up a few minutes late and it cost me the job. Of course, they didn't realize that I was on bicycle at the time but that didn't matter. Second chances were not given as a rule.

There are some very simple ways to take care of this issue and increase your chances of success. One that I use is Google maps to map out the trip to the interview. While it has a very good time estimate make sure you allow extra time to allow for traffic. For bicycles I recommend doubling the time, for auto I recommend adding one quarter to one half. For example, if it says it takes 20 minutes and you're driving a car then add 5 to 10 minutes at a minimum. I'll also recommend adding another 5 to 10 minutes before that to give you enough time to check in.

Proper time management will greatly increase your chances of success. I would say in the range of a 90-95% success for getting the job. If you do show up late how you handle it can make all the difference. You need a provable, believable excuse. While they won't ask usually for you to prove it you still need to be able to. However, I really hope you don't need it as the chances of a replacement interview are rather slim. Most interviewers are rather swamped these days with so many interviews they are giving. Also there aren't as many positions open as there used to be.

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by Cricket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment.