Friday, February 3, 2012

Changes in the job search

There have been many changes in the job search the last few years. It's gotten much more mobile and web based and I expect that trend to continue. According to a study conducted 29% off all job seekers are using social network sites. Another 50% of job seekers are using mostly the traditional job boards like Monster and Careerbuilder. Because I knew so many people that were going to the traditional sites I decided to try something different. I went to Craigslist to search for jobs. This was successful, I found three of the last four jobs including I'm at now on Craigslist. There is also very nice mobile apps for Craigslist, I really like the one on my Blackberry.
Another newer search engine I found out about that I'll also be using a bit heavily is Twitjobsearch. That search engine scans through all of the Twitter postings to search for jobs. While it didn't seem like a lot of postings when I was testing it out they were postings not found elsewhere. This is important because the less the amount of competitors the better your chances. You have just decreased the amount of time you have to hunt for a job which is always a beautiful thing. It'll be that much sooner to find that next position, the sooner to that new paycheck.

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by Cricket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment.